The NAUTH Pharmacy has been in existence for over twenty years. Since then, it has grown over the years in terms of the quality, quantity and variety of drugs and sundries dispensed and other auxiliary services provided.
PHILOSOPHY: Excellence in healthcare through good pharmacy practice
MISSION STATEMENT: To provide quality drug services and pharmaceutical care to our clients
VISION: To be the best in pharmaceutical care and unit dose dispensing among the
tertiary healthcare providers in Nigeria.
OBJECTIVE/GOALS OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- To ensure that the hospital is well provided for in terms of drugs and sundries.
- To ensure that patients get the right drugs and sundries at the right time and at affordable prices.
- To ensure that the patients in the hospital get the right drugs and sundries at the right time and at affordable prices.
- To ensure that the patients receive the right medication through adequate patient counseling and advice
- To ensure at all stages of operation proper storage of drugs and sundries
- To provide special preparations on request and some commonly used extemporaneous preparations.
- To ensure quality assurance for all drugs and sundries coming into the hospital.
- To ensure that pharmacists and other staff receive continuing education.
- To make essential drugs always available by establishing a time-tested drug revolving fund (DRF)
- To encourage generic prescribing.
- To provide drug information services to healthcare providers and the general public at large.
- To train new pharmacists on internship programme
- To provide drugs and pharmaceutical care to patient living with HIV/AIDS
- Interventions and documentation of all activities in pharmacy department.
ACTIVITIES IN THE DEPARTMENT
Weekly Clinical Seminars have continued to be held for staff and other interested hospital members. Members of the department, invites guest lecturers and pharmaceutical companies delivers lectures on drugs and drug management. Also general current affairs are delivered.
DRUG REVOLVING FUND (DRF) SCHEME
This is effective strategy for ensuring uninterrupted drug supply in the hospital. We ensure strict accountability for the drugs provided in the system by supplying them on a cash-and –carry basis. Appropriate provision is made on training of DRF personnel’s. The patient enjoys essential drugs available at considerably cost effective prices.
Patients in emergency (Casualty) have their drugs and sundries supplied without immediate payment for them. Payment is made by relatives later.
Established and registered pharmacies and pharmaceutical manufacturers are made to participate in a competitive bidding through tenders. The DRF committee analyses and recommends to the CMD for approval. Emergency drugs when out of stock are procured by the HOD with drug imprest.
DISPENSING OF DRUGS
All drugs dispensed to patients were on the prescriptions of doctors working in the hospital.The dispensary section has been computerized and networked. Proper records of all drugs dispensed were kept.
Quality drugs and sundries are dispensed to patients under this scheme.
All drugs and sundries are stored in a temperature controlled environment, under the care of a pharmacist as the unit head and storekeepers. The “FIFO’’ method and where necessary the “FEFO”methods are used in the issues.
Our pharmacists attend conferences locally and internationally and these include:-
Anambra state branch of pharmaceutical society of Nigeria (PSN),
National conference of pharmaceutical society of Nigeria (PSN),
Conference of Commonwealth Association of pharmacist,
Conference of Federation of International Pharmacist (FIP),
State Conference of National Association of hospital and administrative pharmacist,
National Conference of National Association of hospital and administrative pharmacist,
COMPOUNDING AND QUALITY CONTROL UNIT
In the event of so many fake, substandard and adulterated drugs in circulation in the country, the NAUTH Management and Board through “VAMED”has equipped the pharmacy department with the state-of-art equipment for compounding our extemporaneous preparations, also quantitative and qualitative equipments for our finished drugs and sundries.
One vital equipment we are lacking is spectrophotometer.
PROBLEMS AND CONSTRAINTS:
The following are affecting the department in giving out her best in services to our numerous clients. We are praying and asking for improvement where present and provision were lacking in the following:-
– Limited space
– Limited staff (pharmacists, clerical officers and AEC’s)
– Limited accommodation for Interns
– Training and re-training of staff.
NAUTH PHARMACY STRENGTH
NAUTH pharmacy has grown in strength over years. Presently, we have strong representation thus:
PHARMACISTS NON COPPER INTERN
PHARM. PHARM. PHARM.
NAUTH pharmacy at NAUTH, Nnewi 24 30 – 44
NAUTH Pharmancy Tuama Centre(NAUTH) Oba 7 3 – 1
NAUTH Pharmancy Comprehensive health
Centre(NAUTH), Umunya 4 1 1 1
NAUTH Pharmancy Tuama Centre(NAUTH),Neni 2 2 1 1
NAUTH Pharmancy Tuama Centre(NAUTH), Awka 1 2 – 1
NAUTH Pharmancy Tuama Centre(NAUTH), Ukpo 2 3 1 1
NAUTH Pharmancy Tuama Centre(NAUTH), Onitsha 3 5 1 1
TOTAL = 43 46 4 50