The department known as the Department of Histopathology has existed since inception of this institution as a Teaching Hospital with the aim of producing tertiary health services in cytological and histological diagnosis, and unraveling some mysterious causes of death by good autopsies to the people of Anambra State and its environs.
Earlier on, the department was headed by non-pathologists and had no pathologist in the department. The first head of department was Late Mr. Ibeachum, a lecturer and laboratory technologist till 1995, when he handed over to Dr. C.C. Ezechukwu, a Paediatrician. He ran the department until 1997 when he handed over to Dr. I.A. Agbata (M.D), the first pathologist to head the department.
At this time, the department took off properly with an Anatomic Pathologist and a histopathology laboratory scientist. Later, two other Pathologists joined the department but had a brief stay and later had to leave to other centres getting the department almost back to square one. Later, in 2005 another pathologist joined him and as at today, the department had grown with four honorary consultant pathologists and one part-time consultant, five resident doctors and also eleven histopathology laboratory scientists, three laboratory technicians, five secretariat staff, one mortuary technician, one mortuary attendant and five mortuary assistants.
HEADS OF THE DEPARTMENT FROM INCEPTION
Late Mr Ibeachum 1993-95
Prof C.C Ezechukwu 1995-97
Prof A.I Agbata 1997-2006
Dr I.V Onyiaorah 2006-07
Dr D.C.D Anyiam 2007-till date
MISSION STATEMENT: To deliver qualitative and excellent health care in a timely, effective and efficient manner, at an affordable and equitable price to our patients.
To provide good quality patient care services, education and research.
To provide diagnostic services to our teeming patients in this environ. As the only government owned institution providing pathological, cytological and autopsy services in this state and beyond, we hope to satisfy our numerous clients especially doctors who rely on our results for further management of their patients.
To generate and to maintain an up-to-date database of diseases in our environment.
To organize updates and clinicopathological conferences for practitioners in all fields of medicine to help keep them abreast with current developments in medicine.
To establish and maintain a modern museum for teaching of medical and para-medical students, resident doctors and other colleagues.
To provide qualitative teaching and practical exposure to our medical laboratory scientists of all cadres and our resident doctors in pathology.
To establish a model research centre for pathology for all interested researchers in pathology and to service researches in other departments for those who wish to.
To improve our turn-around time so that our results come out soonest so as to be very relevant to the patient care.
To improve our service care load and create more awareness of our services in our environment.
VALUES: Staff dedication to duty.
Diligence in service.
Honesty and loyalty.
Incorporating discipline in all staff.
HOURS OF DUTY: The department runs twenty four hour services seven days a week.
SERVICES PROVIDED INCLUDING FEES CHARGED FOR SERVICES RENDERED AND TURN-AROUND TIME.
The following ranges of investigations/procedures and services are offered in our department:
- Routine histopathological services for the analysis of all surgical pathological specimens. The fee varies from N4500.00 for small specimens (samples) to N7350.00 for big samples or whole organ samples. The turn-around time for this service is 4days- one week. In emergencies, results can be out in 48 to 72 hours.
- Cytopathology of all fine needle aspirate biopsies and body fluids aspirates. These are mainly non-gynaecological samples. The fee is N3000.00 for all samples. Services are accessed usually in a 30 minutes to an hour in emergencies and a few hours in normal situations. The appointment is for a few hours to a few days.
- Gynaecological cytopathology (Pap smears). The fee is N3000.00 for all samples. Services are accessed usually in 48 to 72hours. The appointment is for one week in normal situations
- Autopsies (both coroners and hospital autopsies). Performed by Forensic pathologist in the department. Hospital autopsies are done free of charge to determine cause of death. For Coroner’s autopsies, N40,000 is paid to the department as facility fee, while the Pathologist’s fee is negotiated with the attending Pathologist. The turn-around time depends on the pathologist and this varies depending on prevailing circumstances.
- Preservation of Corpses and Embalment. The fees for embalment is N11,900.00. Fees for dressing is N1,500.00. Fee for storage is N600.00 per day for the first fourteen days, while storage in the cooling chamber is N2,250.00 per day for the first fourteen days and N3,400 per day thereafter.
Bodies can be deposited anytime and any day and can be removed too at any time.
- Restorative plastic surgery on terribly mutilated bodies/Cosmotology. The fee here is negotiable.
STAFF OF THE DEPARTMENT
|CONSULTANTS||QUALIFICATIONS||DATES OF QUALIFICATIONS||DATE OF REGISTRATION WITH MDCN/FULL REGISTRATION||DATE OF REGISTRATION OF ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION|
|Prof. A. I. Agbata||MD, DABP, FCAP, FASCP||1971, 1978, 1978, 1979||1980||1980|
|Dr. M. A. C. Odike||MBBS, FMCPath|
|Dr. I. V. Onyiaorah||MbbCh, FMCPath|
|Dr. D. C. D. Anyiam||MBBS, FMCPath||1980, 2006||1981||2007|
|Dr. C. O. Ukah||MBBS, FMCPath||1998, 2007||24/09/99|
|Dr. M. E. Onwukamuche||MBBS, FMCPath||1998, 2010||2002||2011|
B LIST OF REGISTRARS
|1 Dr. C. O. Ndukwe||MBBS, Primaries NPMCN|
|2 Dr. K. C. Madubuike||MBBS, Primaries WACP|
|3 Dr. F. E. Menkiti||MBBS, Primaries NPMCN|
|4 Dr. C. C. Ogbu||MBBS, Primaries NPMCN, WACP|
|5 Dr. N. S. Ozor||MBBS, Primaries NPMCN|
C LIST OF SUPPORTIVE LABORATORY STAFF
|1||OFFOR, Chisom||Senior Lab scientist|
|2||AGUGO, Ogechukwu||Senior Lab scientist|
|3||AHODU, Onochie Bruno||Senior Lab scientist|
|4||OPARA, Clive Chidiebere||Senior Lab scientist|
|5||NWANKWO, Maxwell O||Med .Lab.Sc 1|
|6||AZUBUKO, Ikenna B||Med. Lab.Sc 1|
|7||EZUGWU, Chinedu J||Med. Lab. Sc 1|
|8||OKEKE, Obinna C||Med.Lab. Sc 1|
|9||ONWUZURUIKE, Judith||Med.Lab. Sc 1|
|10||UDEMEZUE, Izuchukwu||Med.Lab. Sc 1|
|11||Dr. AFONNE, O.J||Senior Lecturer|
|12||UKEMENAM, Ngozika||Med.Lab. Sc 1|
D LIST OF MORTUARY STAFF
|1||Obiekea Christian A.||OND||Unit head/ Snr. health assist.|
|2||Nwakozor Paul E.||WASSC||Snr. Ward assist.|
|4||Agbo Joseph I.||“||“|
|7||Okoli Peter||FSLC||Snr. Mortuary attendant|
E LIST OF ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF
|1.||Onwugbenu Theresa||OND||Con Secretary 11|
|2.||Ezeh Ebere||WASSC||Snr. Clerical officer|